This medicine contains the active substance acyclovir. Acyclovir belongs to a group of medicines called antivirals and it is effective in stopping the growth of the virus. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment or prevention of herpes simplex infections of the skin and mucous membranes (cold sores and genital herpes), for the prevention of herpes simplex infections in patients whose immune system is not working properly and for the treatment of chicken pox (varicella infection).
Is Acyclovir suitable for me?
Acyclovir is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to acyclovir, or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if:
- you have nervous system abnormalities
- you have kidney problems
- you have weakened immune system
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Acyclovir interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Acyclovir?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should use acyclovir only as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. The treatment should be started as soon as possible.
- The usual dose for the Herpes simplex infection (cold sores, genital herpes) is 200 mg 5 times a day at 4 hourly intervals for 5 days when used for treatment.
- When used for prevention you should take 200 mg 4 times a day at 6 hourly intervals for 6-12 months.
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. You should take the forgotten dose as soon as you remember and then take the next dose at the right time.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Acyclovir side effects?
Like all medicines acyclovir can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, headache,
- feeling or being sick,
- diarrhea, stomach pain
- skin rashes, itching
- tiredness, sensitivity to sunlight or artificial light
- pale or red irregular raised patches with severe itching (hives)
- hair loss
- circular, irregular red patches on the skin of the hands and arms
- blisters or ulcers
- severe rash
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.