This medicine contains the active ingredient ciclesonide which belongs to a group of medicines called corticosteroids. It is a preventive inhaler (it is effective when inhaled into the lungs) which is used for the treatment of asthma by reducing the symptoms and preventing the attack. You should take this medicine regularly to ensure complete effect.
Is Ciclesonide suitable for me?
Ciclesonide is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to ciclesonide or to other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
- have ever had pulmonary tuberculosis (TB), fungal, viral or bacterial infections
- have an infection in your eyes or mouth, or a chest infection.
Ciclesonide interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Ciclesonide?
This medicine is available in form of a pressurised inhalation, solution.
You should take ciclesonide exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is 160 mcg once a day, but the maintenance dose can be lowered to 80 mcg a day.
- The maximum dose prescribed for the severe asthma symptoms is 320 mcg taken twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Ciclesonide side effects?
Like all medicines ciclesonide can cause side effects, including:
- oral thrush
- bad taste
- dryness of mouth
- nausea or vomiting
- sensation of heartbeat
- discomfort or pain in the abdomen
- high blood pressure
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.