This medicine contains the active ingredient guaifenesin which belongs to a group of medicines known as expectorants. These medicines increase the amount and reduce the density of mucus (phlegm) in chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through the mouth. This medicine is used to relieve chesty coughs, which are usually caused by the common cold, infections, or allergies.
Is Guaifenesin suitable for me?
Guaifenesin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to guaifenesin, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if the child is younger than 12 years.
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- have had a cough for more than one week or your cough recurs or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache
- have a persistent cough that may be caused by asthma
- have a cough which brings up a lot of mucus (phlegm)
- suffer from severe liver or kidney problems
- are taking alcohol
Guaifenesin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Guaifenesin?
This medicine is available in form of syrup.
You should take guaifenesin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose for adults and adolescents of 12 years and over is one 10ml dosing cup 4 times a day or 10ml (two 5 ml spoonfuls) four times a day.
- Do not take more than 4 doses (40ml) in 24 hours.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Guaifenesin side effects?
Like all medicines guaifenesin can cause side effects, including:
- allergic reactions
- skin rashes
- blistering and peeling of the skin
- nausea or vomiting
- upset stomach
- dizziness or headache
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.