This medicine contains the active ingredient hydrochlorothiazide which belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid. Hydrochlorothiazide is prescribed for the treatment of edema (water retention caused by heart failure), cirrhosis of the liver, kidney disorders, edema caused by taking steroids or estrogen and high blood pressure (hypertension).
Is Hydrochlorothiazide suitable for me?
Hydrochlorothiazide is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to hydrochlorothiazide or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are unable to urinate
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have diabetes
- have liver disease or kidney disease,
- have glaucoma,
- have asthma or allergies,
- have gout,
- are allergic to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Hydrochlorothiazide interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Hydrochlorothiazide?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take hydrochlorothiazide exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 25 mg tablet taken once or twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Hydrochlorothiazide side effects?
Like all medicines hydrochlorothiazide can cause side effects, including:
- back, leg, or stomach pains
- abdominal or stomach pain
- constipation, indigestion
- nausea, vomiting
- muscle cramps or pain
- cough or hoarseness
- sore throat
- decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- hair loss or thinning of the hair
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.