This medicine contains the active ingredient pipemidic acid which belongs to a group of medicines called fluoroquinolones. These antibiotics are used to stop several bacterial infections by destroying bacteria and preventing their growth. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of acute and chronic infections of the lower urinary tract (urinary tract and bladder), prevention of repeated infections of the lower urinary tract (urinary tract and bladder) and for the treatment of vaginal infections.
Is Pipemidic acid suitable for me?
Pipemidic acid is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to pipemidic acid or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if it is meant for a child or adolescent
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- have a chronic disease
- have a metabolic disorder
- you are older than 70 years
- have a damaged kidney function
- have porphyria (a type of blood disease)
- have a deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
- have brain disease or damage (including epilepsy) or have ever had convulsions
Pipemidic acid interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Pipemidic acid?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule.
You should take pipemidic acid exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual daily dose is two capsules (400 mg) every 12 hours (i.e., twice a day, in the morning and in the evening). It usually lasts for 10 days, but it may take longer, depending on the disease.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Pipemidic acid side effects?
Like all medicines pipemidic acid can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, vomiting
- diarrhea, constipation
- stomach pain
- loss of appetite
- vision disturbance
- loss of balance
- depression, anxiety
- sleep disturbance
- skin sensitivity
- skin rash
- joint pain
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.