This medicine contains the active ingredients sodium valproate and valproic acid. This medicine belongs to a group of antiepileptic medicines. These medicines are used to treat epilepsy by stabilizing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain. This unusual electrical brain activity can cause fits or seizures in epilepsy (symptoms like abnormal muscle movements, twitches, visual and taste disturbances, unresponsiveness, loss of consciousness). Depakine Chrono is prescribed for the treatment of epilepsy and manic episodes.
Is Depakine Chrono suitable for me?
Depakine Chrono is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to sodium valproate, valproic acid, or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have porphyria (blood condition)
- if you have a history of drug or alcohol addiction
- if you have serious kidney or liver disease
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have a history of drug abuse or alcoholism
- have an inflammatory condition called systemic lupus erythematosus
Depakine Chrono interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Depakine Chrono?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take Depakine Chrono exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your age, condition and needs.
- The usual dose for adults is 20 to 30 mg / kg per day. This, in most patients, corresponds to the amount of 4 to 10 tablets of 300 mg or 2 to 6 tablets of 500 mg divided into 1 or 2 daily doses.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Depakine Chrono side effects?
Like all medicines Depakine Chrono can cause side effects, including:
- stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- increased appetite, abnormal weight gain
- loss of appetite and loss of body fluids
- increased bleeding tendency due to decreased platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- changes in behavior and sleep problems
- unsteady gait
- the increased need to urinate or incontinence
- hair loss or change of hair color
- irregular periods
- severe liver damage, sometimes even fatal
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.